Image Map

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Penne w/ Chicken Sausage, Zucchini and Greek Yogurt Sauce


Have you all discovered the joys of cooking and baking with Greek yogurt? If not, you are missing out!

My last grocery trip I found Hillshire chicken, apple and Gouda sausages on sale. Curious, I decided to pick some up. With a harvest of bell peppers and zucchini from the garden, I thought the flavors would blend nicely. While trying to decide on a sauce for my new pasta dish, I realized I still had a large container of Greek yogurt hanging out in the fridge.

 I have been subbing Greek yogurt into my baking recipes in place of fats or sour cream for some time now. I always found it a great way to reduce the fat, up the protein, and keep the creamy texture. I figured if it worked for baking, why couldn't it work for a sauce?

It worked. Oh, my did it work. Light, slightly tangy, and a perfect compliment for the flavors of the fresh vegetables and the delicious sausage.


Penne with Chicken Sausage, Zucchini and Greek Yogurt Sauce

One box of penne pasta
Two tablespoons olive oil
One zucchini
Two red bell peppers
One package sausage (I highly recommend the Hillshire Farm Chicken with Gouda and Apple)
One cup Greek yogurt
Half of a cup Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste


Start by bringing a pot of water to a boil, then adding pasta and a sprinkle of salt.

While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a large pan. Add diced sausage, zucchini, and bell pepper. Saute sausage and vegetables until sausage is cooked through and nicely browned and vegetables are fork tender.

Drain and rinse pasta, then put back in pan. Add one cup Greek yogurt, Parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper. Mix until incorporated. 

Add sausage mix into pasta mix. Stir until everything is well mixed.

Serve warm with french bread.

Enjoy!

*Disclaimer: Hillshire Farms did not sponsor this post. They have no idea who I am. I just liked the product.*

No comments:

Post a Comment