Image Map

Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Search For the Perfect Pancake #1

In my mind I have a picture of the perfect pancake. Soft. Fluffy. Delicate texture. Not to sweet or buttery. A slight chew to it. 

Perhaps my mom made them like this when I was little. Maybe I have spent one too many late nights at Ihop in my life. 

Either way, I have searched and searched for THE pancake. The pancake that lives up to my standards. I can honesty state that I have tried dozens of different pancake recipes in my search. So now, I will let you all in on my crazy hunt.

The search for the perfect pancake.

Our first contender comes from King Arthur Flour.

Simply Perfect Pancakes
makes 12

2 eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
3 tablespoons butter (I use one tablespoon butter, 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce)
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup King Arthur White Wheat Flour (I love their wheat flour. It is very finely ground.)
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar (I have replaced the sugar before with maple syrup. Yum!)

In large bowl beat milk and eggs until fluffy.


Slowly and gently stir in your butter (and applesauce if you are using it).


In another bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients. 






Mix dry ingredients into the egg mixture.





Let the mixture rest for 15 minutes while you preheat your griddle to 375.

Once the batter has rested and your griddle is ready, drop by 1/4 cup fulls onto your griddle.

As usual, none of my pancakes are perfect circles.

Once you see an even layer of bubbles on the pancake surface it is time to flip!




Allow the pancake to cook for another 1 1/2 - 2 minutes.


Remove to a plate and enjoy! If you cannot eat right away, place on a cookie sheet and put into a preheated 200 degree oven.

A nice drizzle of pure maple syrup.

Decent fluffyness when straight off the griddle.





While this recipe was good, it wasn't great. The pancakes were fluffy at first, but the ones that sat for a few minutes flattened out and became tough. And there wasn't a ton of flavor to them.

This may be a good recipe for add in pancakes - like cinnamon raisin or blueberry - as the batter starts out with a good fluff.

Overall I think I would try these again, but with the added work of fluffing the eggs and only an ok turn out, I cannot say they will be a regular in our rotation.

The search continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment