Image Map

Friday, July 20, 2012

Fevers, Chills, and a Virus Oh My!

It has been a long week here at the house. It all started Sunday. The little man woke up with a nasty fever. No runny nose, no cough, no third arm. Just a persistant fever leaving him feeling less than stellar.

Not that it kept him from his usual craziness activities. From Sunday until Tuesday we kept a close eye on him, but other than the fever there was nothing else to note. Now, before you hand me the worst parent of the year award for not taking my kid in right away, let me just say that I grew up in a medical household. I know that fevers under 103 with no other symptoms, while uncomfortable for the little guy, in my opinion held no danger. His body was fighting off a virus and the best thing I could do was help him stay comfortable.

Come Wednesday the fever was gone and other than a crankier than usual disposition all seemed to be back to normal. Que the crazy rash. This afternoon, out of nowhere, BAM! Small little red dots all over his back and chest. They don't seem to be uncomfortable and the fever is still gone, but there they are.

One quick check with Dr. Google and I think I have the answer. Roseola. Apparently it is a very common childhood virus, and also highly contagious. Which means the little puffalump will most likely be sporting the polka dot look pretty soon as well. I'll call and check with their pediatrician in the morning to be sure though.

Overall I think how we react when our kids are sick is a deeply personal choice. I felt confident letting his body fight the virus intruder. Based on his disposition, and a careful and consistent tracking of his temperature, I am comfortable with my decision. We all have to do what we think is best for our kids. For now, I think sleep, a cool bath, and maybe a special popsicle treat (along with a call to the Dr.) are the best options for us.



I guess the floor was cooler, because I kept finding him like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment