Image Map

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

What We Are Eating Wednesday

Wednesday is grocery day in this house. Or, as my toddler sees it "sample all fruits and vegetables in the store" day. Luckily he is cute and our produce department is patient. Otherwise the kid would be scrubbing floors to pay for the many bitten apples and munched on leaves of lettuce.

Wednesday is the only day of the week hubs is home all day, so lately I have been leaving Mr. Produce Sampler at home while I head out to bargain hunt a weeks supply of nutrients for the family. Thinking of it that way makes me wonder if I should always buy chips. But I digress.

Here is the meal plan for the upcoming week.

Wednesday
Bell pepper, olive, and pepperoni pizza on homemade crust


Thursday
Crock pot shredded BBQ chicken on homemade rolls, sweet potato fries, and salad



Friday
Roasted bell pepper, garlic and spinach pasta

Saturday
Chicken fajitas on homemade tex mex tortillas, with Spanish brown rice

Sunday - Father's Day
Breakfast - diced home potatoes w/ bell peppers, scrambled eggs, bacon, and pancakes
Bean and cheese burritos on leftover homemade tex mex tortillas, with Spanish brown rice

Monday
Scrambled egg sandwiches with  cherries and tangerines

Tuesday
Belated Father's Day Dinner - Steak, corn on the cob, baked potatoes, salad
Blueberry Boston cream pie for dessert

When it comes to meal plans I have a few general guidelines I try to follow.

At lease one night of no meat a week. 
Not only does this save us money, but it is also healthier for us.

No complicated meals on single parent nights.
 I always try to be aware of what nights the hubby is working and plan a simple meal.

Meals need to be big enough for both dinner and lunches the next day. 
This keeps the kids and I from living off of pb&j's, and hubby from eating fast food.

Whenever possible, make it healthy. 
I try to make our food from scratch using whole grains and low sugar. 
While we try our best to be healthy, don't be fooled. We still hit up the pizza place and get McDonald's french fries (so tasty) at least a few times a month. But if I am going to be cooking, I figure I might as well come up with something a little better for us.

That's the plan for this week. Let's hope it is a successful meal adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment