Image Map

Thursday, June 14, 2012

This Little Dough Went to Market....

Ok, technically not to market. Unless you count hugs, kisses, and groans of satisfied contentment as payment. Which I kind of do. Then I suppose my kitchen is Meg's Marketplace.

Tonight's meal plan was bbq chicken on home made rolls. I have been searching for forever (maybe a little less than that) for the perfect wheat bun. Instead I felt like Goldy locks. This bun is to hard. This bun is too soft. Finally my friends, my buns are just right (snicker, snicker).

The basis for this recipe came from somewhere. I found it a few months ago while researching Portuguese milk rolls. However, due to lack of forethought on my part I didn't write down where I found the original recipe. Bad, bad, bad Megan. Until I can track the owner down, please accept my measly wheat version. Which is also darn delicious.

Wheat Milk Buns

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups white wheat flour (this is a much finer version of whole wheat flour)
1 1/2 cups bread flour
1 T yeast
1 cup warm milk (I use 1%)
1 teaspoon salt
3 T sugar
2 T melted butter

1. Proof yeast in warm milk for 10 minutes.


2. While that is doing it's thing, mix together flours, salt, and sugar. 


3. Combine the yeast mixture with the dry ingredients. Add melted butter.


4. Mix until a loose sticky ball is formed.





5. Pour onto a floured surface and knead until smooth. Place in a lightly oiled container, cover, and let sit for 30 minutes.


6. Divide dough into eight sections, and roll into balls. Place in greased baking dish, cover, and let rise until doubled.

I made a double batch. Half for tonight, half for the freezer.

7. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Once risen, bake buns for 12-15 minutes. They will be lightly golden and have a hallow sound when flicked.

That's it!! Enjoy your scrumptious, soft, and whole wheat buns for burgers, shredded beef or chicken sandwiches, baked chicken breast, you name it!!



No comments:

Post a Comment