Image Map

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

DIY Burlap Thanksgiving Table Runner

We are in turkey month! I love November. A whole month to refocus on being thankful for the blessings in my life. Including turkey.

Over the next few weeks I will be sharing special DIY Thanksgiving projects for your table and home.



Today we will start with this beautifully simple and easily customized burlap table runner!

The first step was creating my design. I wanted to keep things simple this year, with a focus on what Thanksgiving is about: Giving Thanks. The fall leaves seemed like the perfect fit with the burlap.


I have a huge crush on burlap this Fall. It is easy to work with and very forgiving.

I started by measuring my table length and then adding 1.5 feet, so it would dangle over the sides. For the width I have read suggestions for either 1/3 the width of the table or 14". Because I had designed my graphic to fit on a standard 8.5 x 11" paper, I chose to make my runner 11" wide.  This made it just over 1/3 of my table width.

Burlap can have frayed, uneven edges if you don't cut it right. I found this awesome tip a while back and it has provided the perfect burlap cuts every time.

Start by marking your measurements on the burlap. I just used my paper as a guide.


Next, make a small cut. Find a strand of the burlap on the inside of your cut and carefully begin to pull on it.



You can seen that removing this strand gives you a perfect line for you to cut along.


Carefully cut your burlap along the line you created when you removed the string.


Look at how neat your edges will be! To prevent any future fraying, I recommend sealing the edges with fray check.


Once you have your burlap cut to size, it is time to trace on your design.


Because of the perforations in burlap, you can easily see your design when it rests under the burlap.

To trace my design, I used permanent markers in colors matching my design. This way if I wanted to paint in the words or leaves it would all match the original colors.


I started with the words then it was on to the leaf.


At this point I changed my mind about painting the design. I really liked the simplistic nature the permanent marker gave it. However, this could easily be customized with paint, glitter, or ribbon.


Looking good, but maybe too simple. It needed a little bit more. Out came an orange and a yellow permanent marker.


 Much better. And our resident Gabe-bot approved!



Quick and fairly painless, it is the perfect runner for our Thanksgiving table. Next I will share a similar technique to make custom Thanksgiving throw pillow covers. We will also be sharing a fun tutorial for a gobble turkey sign!

As promised, here is a free printable! Simply right click the image to save your computer, then print away!





Have fun crafting! And if you make this, please share it with us! Leave a comment here or on our Facebook page!

If you don't have time to craft your own, you can purchase one from our Etsy shop here!




No comments:

Post a Comment