Image Map

Friday, August 23, 2013

Kale Turkey Meatloaf

My house is not big on meatloaf. In fact, whenever I would get a really bad craving for meatloaf, and dish some up for dinner, there was always a lot of eye rolling. To which I always replied "This is what I cooked. Eat it, or don't, but my tummy is happy". 

Recently, this has changed. My meatloaf is met with happy smiles, empty plates, and (gasp!) requests for seconds from the kids. How can this be?!? Is it magic??

The answer may surprise you. Turkey - kale - and milk. That's right my friends. Healthy and wholesome ingredients have transformed my family into meatloaf eaters. Who knew?

Turkey Kale Meatloaf (adapted from Real Simple)
1.25 lbs. ground turkey
1/2 white onion, diced fine
2 c. spinach, chopped
3 c. kale, chopped
1/2 c. panko breadcrumbs (if using Italian panko, omit Italian seasoning)
2T mustard
2T Italian seasoning
1 egg white
salt and pepper, to taste
1 c. milk (I use 1%)
1/4 c. ketchup




Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Begin by washing your kale and spinach. If you don't have a salad spinner, I highly recommend getting one. It makes cleaning your leafy veggies so much easier, and saves me tons of paper towels.



Once washed, finely chop your spinach and kale. One meatloaf uses approximately one small bag of spinach, or one destemmed bunch, and two large leafs of kale, stem removed.


Place your chopped greens, bread crumbs, Italian seasoning (if using unseasoned bread crumbs), mustard, egg white, salt, pepper, and milk in bowl. 

Chop the onion and add to the mix.






Add your ground turkey. I used 93/7, but you could easily use extra lean 96/4 if you like. Then get your hands in there and get dirty!


Mix until just combined. Try not to over mix, or the turkey will lose its texture and just be a mush.


Form your mix into loafs in a 9 x 13 pan. If you have tin foil, you can line your pan for easy clean up. Or, if you forgot to buy tinfoil, like me, you can spray your pan with pam to make easier clean up. Spread ketchup over the top.


Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until thermometer reads 165 degrees.




Our favorite way to enjoy is with roasted garlic gold potatoes and salad.


Yum!! The milk adds moisture, while using panko bread crumbs keeps the meatloaf from being one texture. 

Are your families meatloaf fans? What is your go-to comfort food?

2 comments:

  1. I loved this!! I am so trying it out next weeks... Just for the fact that We grow kale, and never really know what to do with it... THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you dislike the texture of onions like I do, saute them before adding it into the mix. This softens the onions and you won't notice them at all!

    ReplyDelete